The voice you will never forget.

Meliesa's voice, with it's smokey lows and clarion highs, ranges from haunting beauty to spine-tingling power. She is a musical experience you will never forget!




Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweden 2010, Days 1 & 2

It's Friday morning here in Jörlanda, 30 minutes west of Göteborg. I am totally over my jet lag, thanks to staying up a late as I could my first night, and a date with Prince Valium the first and second nights.



We had a very good first session. Most of the time we spent dialing in the settings, getting it right. Got 2 songs done. Today we will do 3, maybe 4. The material is gutwrenchingly emotional and is a true story, so "Mr. Black" spends time giving me background on the songs, where they came from. It's an incredible responsibility, being asked to BE someone's voice, to make every emotion they feel about the song come out when I sing. I have to dig pretty deep. In the end, I think a lot of people are going to be moved by this record. I have a totally different voice on this material than anything else I sing. I'm very invested in it.



My down time is spent taking long walks in the gorgeous Swedish countryside. It is so beautiful, serene, and relaxing here. It's as though the very earth itself is saying, "hey chill out, it's all good." I have to just sigh, smile, and agree. I have taken to collecting little rocks on each of my trips here, and have quite the collection of rough quartz pieces in white, peach, and rosy hues. I keep them in my backpack for luck.



"Mr. Black" (as he prefers to be referred to publicy) is good company. At night when the session is finished he cooks us dinner and we watch a movie or listen to music or just talk about how different life is in our two countries. There's a large porch with a great view and I have a beer out there in the afternoon as the shadows grow long, then come in when the air starts to cool. It gets pretty cold at night and is a bit chily even during the day. I did not pack heavy enough clothes for the north portion of my trip, I'm afraid. Maybe I'll come home a human popsicle.



So far, the experience is exactly as I have expected... profound, exciting, and wonderful. However I miss all of you a lot and wish you could be here to share it with me (esp. one of you, you know you you are).



So anyway, I have to sign off and prepare for the session and take take my walk before I sing. I'll write again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment