The voice you will never forget.

Meliesa's voice, with it's smokey lows and clarion highs, ranges from haunting beauty to spine-tingling power. She is a musical experience you will never forget!




Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweden 2010, Day 18

Stockholm. 6.30. Camping cabin. Cold. Sort of heard something. Got shaken a bit. It stopped. Something groaned; it might have been me. I faded back into oblivion. Then, through a fog, I heard my name being called over and over again. Felt someone shake me gently. I started to emerge from the illness-induced semi-coma I had apparently been in to find Henrik’s sweet face hovering over me. “Meliesa, it is time to get up, we are leaving soon. Meliesa wake up.” He looked so concerned. I growled and pulled myself up by will alone. I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed all day. Is this what it felt like to emerge from the warmth and safety of the womb? I shivered and inside I was squalling like a newborn. Put me back in, dammit. Too bright out here.

After splashing some very cold water on my face and brushing my teeth, I felt at least mammal, though nowhere near human. Massive amounts of caffeine would required for that. I slammed my meds, packed my bag, and still half-asleep, crawled into the car. We have a very long drive ahead of us; at least 8 hours to Jevnaker, Norway, about an hour north of Oslo. The band once again earned my undying gratitude by stopping for coffee at the first place we found that was open.

The meds kicked in and I was able to enjoy most of the ride to Norway, though I admit I slept through at least half of it. I started paying attention once we crossed into this new country for me. The landscape is much the same as Sweden, though the further west we traveled, the more plains gave way to hills, and trees to grassy fields. The houses are constructed in a similar fashion. The main difference is that is seemed… well… wealthier than Sweden. Duh. Norway has all the gas and oil.

It took us quite awhile once we got to Jevnaker to find the venue. As we were searching for it, we tore up the tour van quite a bit on tiny little roads that felt like a wild goose chase for the amusement of our Garmin GPS unit. When we did find it, it looked quite unremarkable from the outside. Boring even. We stretched and headed in.

Two words: HOLY SHIT.

The stage was huge! The room was huge! The sound system was HUGE! This venue Glassheim (also known as The Untouchables Hard Rock Club) has international touring acts on a regular basis. Ozzy loves playing here. Everyone who is anyone in the metal scene has played here. Oh. My. GOD. In a few hours, it’s gonna be US up there!!

We are opening for a band called Backstreet Girls, who are long-time veterans of the Norway rock scene, sort Scandinavia’s version of AC/DC. According to our liaison at the club, a lot of people were coming out to see US, not just the other band. Freaky cool! We have never played here but we already have a following. Timo says that for supporting live music Sweden really sucks, but Norway is positively fanatical. They feed on it like sex and beer. Very exciting, and I wish I was feeling healthier.

After sound check, they gave us an area to hang out, and bought us pizza and beer. The Backstreet Girls showed up, already drunk, rude, arrogant, acting like typical rock stars. We in Lapis Lazuli solemnly promised each other that when we gain that kind of status, we will never behave that badly. I’m sorry, but I would rather stay a small act and retain some humanity and dignity than ever act like a tool just because I am famous.

My lungs were still burning from the asthma attack the day before, so when the other band started chain-smoking in the confined area, we retreated first to the van, then to an alcove right off the stage, where the guys used their bodies to shield me from looky-loos while I changed into my stage clothes. The room was starting to fill up. The air was charged with expectation. I felt magic about to happen. Then it was time.

We took to the stage on this, our final show of this tour, with a frenzy and passion unmatched (in my opinion) by any band, any place, any time. We defined ourselves with this moment, in this venue, as an act worthy of notice and attention. Vocally I was a bit rough, and had not as much air, but I powered though it and did my best as did the boys to put on the show of my life. People swarmed the barrier in front of the stage, screaming and cheering and throwing the horns; some stood back and really WATCHED, and listened, and nodded their approval with thumbs-up and a smile.

In short, we killed it.

I was near tears with happiness as we exited the stage, and I think the rest of the band felt that same powerful emotion as I did: We are in. And we are One. This show, this night, was really just the very beginning of our larger journey. One small step, but in the right direction.

Immediately after the show, we had to pack up and leave. Everything in Norway is outrageously expensive, and we simply could not afford accommodations there. We had secured a camping cabin for the night back in Sweden, and it would take at least three hours to drive there. We left at 23.30 and arrived at around 03.00, after driving around the campground in the dark trying to find our cabin.

Most of the camping cabins in Sweden, at least the ones we can afford like the six-sleeper with an outhouse in Stockholm, cost maybe SEK300-400 per night, roughly $45-$60. All we could get on this night which was on our route home was a six-sleeper near Torsby with it own kitchen with running water, a bathroom/shower, three rooms and real beds. Luxury!! It cost us SEK800, or $120 for the night, and a SEK50 surcharge for electricity used. It was warm, the beds were comfy, and I didn’t have to hike in the freezing cold to the outhouse if I had to pee in the middle of the night. WOOT! Hopefully next tour, we will be able to afford more like this. I don’t mind bunking up with five smelly snoring guys if I can do so in relative comfort. Hell... who am I kidding? I don’t even need comfort; I just really enjoy hanging with my band.

I took a long hot shower and washed my hair. I was unsuccessful in my quest for clean socks, so I just turned the old ones inside out; no way no matter how bad it gets, my feet will never smell like Timo’s. I closed the door to the room I was sharing with Tobias to at least muffle the snoring coming from the other two rooms, and drifted off with a huge smile. I love this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment