The voice you will never forget.

Meliesa's voice, with it's smokey lows and clarion highs, ranges from haunting beauty to spine-tingling power. She is a musical experience you will never forget!




Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweden 2010, Day 12

I slept in. Awesome! I was awake around 8.30, but the boys were still sleeping so I got up, had a shower, and went to the common room at the hostel to write my blog. Would have killed for a cup of coffee.

It was a bit chilly, but I am getting used to that. I wrote for a bit, then checked back in with the boys… Timo was awake, but the other four were still sawing wood like lumberjacks in their bunks. That was fine… check-out time was not until noon, and we have the day off today! All we have to do is drive to Stockholm, our home base for the next few nights.

At 10.30 I figured I had better drag their skinny little asses out of bed, so I started banging on their door. After a few muffled curses, more snoring, and very loud fart, they finally emerged from their room, half naked and yawning like Viking zombies. Jocke is the only one who wakes up actually awake. The rest of them take awhile for their neurons to start firing, and they can be quite funny to behold until then. Tobias is a bit cross-eyed and can’t speak English until he splashes water on his face, and Henrik just sort of stares vacantly into space, slack-jawed, wondering what that big light in the sky is.

In record time, we had the van packed, with the help of my unparalleled spatial skills. Once again we hit the road, van groaning and squealing. After stopping for gas, food and my blessed coffee, we were on our way to Stockholm.

These guys are a riot to travel with. We listen to music, play Trivial Pursuit on the iPhone, and the boys will hook up the computer and play very old Nintendo games, the kind with the 3rd grade graphics and horrible arcade music. I amused myself by picking strategic times to block the monitor so they could not see. Ha!!

Since we had the day off and could afford a more leisurely pace, we decided to do a bit of sightseeing. In Vadstena, on the shore of Lake Vättern, is the oldest monastery in Sweden. It was founded by a truly remarkable woman who is now called Saint Birgitta. As I write this, I do not have internet access, but those of you who read this once it is uploaded should google her, and maybe post a Wiki link for me? She was fascinating and did great works, especially for a woman born into the very male-dominated 14th century. Roby, I purchased a little book for you about her… she reminds me a bit of you somehow.

The old monastery itself has crumbled, but much of the foundation and some of the walls remain. I was especially impressed by the ruins of the brewhouse, where nuns brewed beer, and everyone had a daily ration of 2.6 litres of it. Peter, I think Alesmith should brew a beer in her honor!!

The church which stands there today is incredibly beautiful. I am always awed when in the presence of Man’s houses for the Divine, regardless of religion. As a Religious Scientist I do not believe that any one faith is the ONE faith, but I revere and respect the influence that one man and ascended Master, Jesus the Christ, has had on our culture, architecture, art, literature, and our very way of life and thinking. This demands respect which I freely give. I paid five crowns and lit a candle in thanks for the works of Jesus and his faithful and tenacious servant, Saint Birgitta.

It was raining as we continued our journey to Stockholm. Tobias called the camping place where we stay each year for our Stockholm-area shows, and was delighted to discover that the proprietor remembered us, and in fact had missed us! She had given up hope that we would be back this year and was thrilled to set aside a cabin for us.

One treat on the car ride was listening to Göran Nyström’s new band, Twinspirits. Their CD is entitled “The Forbidden City” and is comprised of 10 outstanding songs. If I had to label them, I would call them modern progressive metal. The writing, arranging, playing, and production are all top-notch, and Göran, who has been one of my all-time favorite singers since I first heard him three years ago, gives the most brilliant vocal performance imaginable. Incredible tone, range, versatility, passion, and connection to the lyrics are the gifts he brings to this CD, and rumor has it, the next one will be even more mind-blowing. Göran came to see us off in Hammerdal before we left, and put the CD in my hands personally. I now feel like the man and friend I hugged and thanked is soon to be metal’s next vocal icon.

We stopped at McD’s for a late lunch/early dinner. Folks, I don’t eat there even at home, but thought what the hell, how bad can it be? Well for one, they smother everything here in this horrible nasty sauce that tastes, to me, like a combination of baby vomit and ball sweat. They looked at me really strangely when I asked for my Big and Tasty with lite sauce, and please add some mustard. The food was enough to remind me of why I don’t eat at this establishment when given a choice. When I had choked down as much as I could without grossing myself out, I gave the rest of my sandwich and fries to Tobias, who can and does eat anything and everything.

Near our campsite we stopped for gas and groceries, and arrived just after dark to our cabin. It has a tiny kitchen with a fridge, stove, and microwave, but no running water. There is a toilet and shower house maybe 30 paces from the cabin. Two small alcoves with bunk beds, and a bunk bed in the small living room, ensure that 6 can sleep comfortably. Henrik snores the least so he is usually my bunk mate. We settled in and watched a few episodes of South Park, then I hit the sack. Hard bed. Cramped. Noisy. Earbuds in, Thundering Rainstorm on the Sansa, and I drifted off with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment