The voice you will never forget.

Meliesa's voice, with it's smokey lows and clarion highs, ranges from haunting beauty to spine-tingling power. She is a musical experience you will never forget!




Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweden 2010, Day 7

All work is done. Mr. Black and I decided to have an outing to the suspension bridge connecting the mainland to the island of Tjörn. Back in the early 80’s, a barge hit the support of the old bridge and collapsed it, killing many people. For a while, people were cut off from the mainland and the government rushed first to provide ferry service in the interim, then to build the bridge that stands today. It is quite lovely, and there is a park with an excellent view. We spent some time there, admiring the structure, and the way it blends seamlessly with the natural environment. (I have such a weak spot for architecture and good engineering. How many of you had no clue?) We couldn’t have asked for better weather… clear, windy, the sun playing short games of hide-and-seek with the few puffy clouds.

After the park, we went to a nearby cove, sheltered from the wind and weather. The beach showed us many treasures at low tide, especially bright purple, pink, and orange starfish lying about. From the end of the pier, we saw jellyfish floating by. While their sting is painful, it is not at all deadly, just a nuisance. Either way, I was not going to brave the cold water like several children and a few adults were.

I was craving a dark beer so we went to the Bolaget to buy some, but alas, no Stone beers. WTF guys? Get your butts to Sweden already!! I didn’t see any Stone or Alesmith beers. How I am going to survive the remaining two weeks here without a Stone Smoked Porter? I settled for Sam Adams Black Lager, which did not taste fresh at all.

When we got home, we had lunch, and went for one final walk to the sea and my favorite dilapidated dock. We sat there in silence mostly, each of us reflecting on the immense amount of work we accomplished in the preceding days, and on my part, feeling a bit maudlin. Sentimental. Even a little empty. It was not unlike the feeling when a lover leaves you. Achy, somewhat stunned, and helplessly lacking direction. On the walk back, I started laughing inside… that slightly insane out-of-control laughter which is a defense mechanism for coping with the rootless unknown.

That evening, I packed, and we tried to keep the mood light by watching X-Men. It was clear by the end of the evening that while we are bound as friends and collaborators, we were both relieved to see this chapter end, and was each looking forward to the next step in our musical odyssey. I went to bed knowing that goodbyes are not painful when you know a reunion will come.

Into day 8….

Sleep? Nope, not much. Smoke alarm was malfunctioning and would beep every half hour and wake me up. Finally gave up around 4.30 and got up, had a shower, and got ready to go. Mr. Black came in at 5.30 and made us coffee. We left for the airport by 6.30 and got me checked in, had one final cup of coffee at the terminal. A hug, a goodbye, some nausea, maybe a tear, and a real swirlie of a soul-ache as I turned to walk away and he did the same.

Strangely, as I rounded the corner, POOF; gone. I almost lost my legs and started laughing that crazy laugh again. I was FREE! I was excited! Happy! Incredibly pleased with the outcome of the week with Mr. Black and salivating at the prospect of hearing the final product! All of the angst associated with this journey dissipated like a fart in the wind and all that remained was the sense of joy I knew would come. Almost scary how easily I managed to distance myself, after days of being so wrapped up I thought my Self would never be successfully extricated and resuscitated.

Focus is shifting. That ship has sailed. My next ride is a plane to Östersund by way of Stockholm, where I will meet up with my band, Lapis Lazuli. This one should prove to be wild in an entirely different way.

See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment